Market, survey and opinion research serves an important function in society. Businesses and governments make better decisions through survey research. As a survey participant, your opinions help companies develop new products, make existing ones better, and improve customer service. Political organizations and governments also rely on survey research to advance laws and policies that the public wants or needs.
When you participate in research conducted by the Angus Reid Group, you can be assured that we will protect your privacy. Occasionally, we may re-contact you to validate your responses. We will never misrepresent ourselves or what we are doing.
We have developed rigorous privacy standards that are set out in detail below.
If you have any privacy questions or concerns, please contact our Privacy Officer via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 750 - 505 Burrard Street, Vancouver BC, V7X 1M4.
Individuals may voluntarily become members of the Angus Reid Group by registering at our website. Personal Information (“Personal Information”) is personal information you provide us, or what we collect from you and your devices in connection with your access to and use of the Services. In legal terms, we collect and use this Personal Information as a data controller. No Personal Information is sought from or about you without your prior knowledge and consent.
During the registration process, we gather certain Personal Information for contact and survey distribution purposes. We also record your IP address for member validation purposes and some browser and Operating System information for technical support purposes. Members may also be recruited on our behalf by third party websites, who may forward Personal Information to us, with the member's prior consent.
When our firm conducts online research, our invitations and questionnaires clearly identify us and explain the purpose(s) of our contact. When we contact you, we generally do so for one of the following purposes:
- To invite you to participate in survey research;
- To conduct a survey research interview with you;
- To validate answers you gave in a recent survey we conducted;
- To update and to ensure that our records of your Personal Information are correct.
Occasionally, we may contact you for one of these other purposes:
- To notify you if you have won a prize draw that we sponsored;
- To ask for your permission to use your Personal Information for a purpose that was not explained to you when we first collected your Personal Information.
At two stages in the registration process you are asked specifically if you consent to our use of your Personal Information for the purposes defined within this policy. This is called "double opt-in." If at any time you wish to discontinue your membership you simply send an email to email@example.com requesting your name and Personal Information be deleted from our files.
When you participate in our research, we may ask you for your personal opinions, as well as demographic information, such as your age and household composition. You may refuse to answer certain questions or discontinue participation in a study at any time. If you join our online community, you may rescind your membership at any time by following the opt-out instructions that we include in every e-mail that we send.
We do not accept children who are under 18 years of age for membership in the Angus Reid Group community. In some specific surveys we may ask if parents are willing to consent for their children to participate in an online survey. Parents are able to view the survey to determine if they are willing to consent to such participation. We will never knowingly collect information from any individual under the age of 18 years without the express, written permission from the parents or legal guardian of said child. The Angus Reid Group adheres to all Canadian and U.S. laws regarding Internet use by minors.
If a parent or guardian believes that Angus Reid Group has in its database the personally-identifiable information of a child under the age of 18, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will use our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
CONFIDENTIALITY OF SURVEY RESPONSES AND CONTACT INFORMATION
We combine your survey responses in a given survey with the responses of all others who participate and report those combined responses to the client that commissioned the study. We will never intentionally report your individual survey responses, except as described below.
Your survey responses may be collected, stored or processed by our affiliated companies or non-affiliated service providers, both within and outside Canada. They are contractually bound to keep any information they collect and disclose to us or we collect and disclose to them confidential and must protect it with security standards and practices that are equivalent to our own.
In addition to keeping your survey responses confidential, we will never sell, share, rent or otherwise intentionally transfer your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address to our clients, other market research companies, direct marketing companies or anyone else.
The only exceptions when we may disclose your Personal Information or survey responses to third parties are as follows:
- You request or consent to sharing your identifying information and individual responses with the third parties for a specified purpose;
- In accordance with the ESOMAR guidelines, we provide your responses to a third party who is contractually bound to keep the information disclosed confidential and use it only for research or statistical purposes;
- In the rare but possible circumstance that the information is subject to disclosure pursuant to judicial or other government subpoenas, warrants, orders or for similar legal or regulatory requirements.
The Angus Reid Group website may contain links to information on other websites. We do not have any control over these websites, and therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you provide while visiting those sites. We recommend that you carefully read the privacy policies of each site you visit.
Some of the cookies that we use on this site are required because they identify you as a valid member of our panel, and they protect access to your profile and account information. The privacy settings of your browser must be configured to allow cookies from angusreidusa.com or you may not be able to register on the Angus Reid Group or access the Members Area of this site. If you wish, you can adjust your browser's privacy settings to delete cookies upon exiting web sites or when you close your browser.
This site uses Flash Local Shared Objects (LSO), also known as "Flash cookies," to store some of your preferences, to display content based upon what you view, to personalize your visit, to combat fraud that endangers the quality of research, or to otherwise track your behaviour and activities across multiple visits to the site. We use Flash cookies strictly for research purposes only.
Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored and how the data are stored. The latest versions of popular browsers now allow internet users to manage Flash cookies using browser privacy settings or downloading add-ons.
If your browser does not support these features, then you can manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies or disable their use entirely by visiting Macromedia's website, the manufacturer of Flash Player, at the following link: Adobe - Flash Player: Settings Manager: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html
We use optional cookies, both browser and Flash-based software applications for conducting advertising and website research. These cookies are available only to members of our panel who have explicitly agreed to participate in our behavioural tracking research programme. The cookies keep track of certain online advertisements and web pages that you see, including how frequently the online content that we are measuring is viewed by your computer. Only a small number of ads or websites are measured through this research programme and the information we collect is used strictly for research purposes. No commercial messages or communications will be directed to you as a result of taking part in this research. Full details about this programme are available to you when you are logged into our site including instructions on how to discontinue your participation at any time.
Like most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP (Internet Protocol) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and click stream data. We use this information to analyse trends, to administer our site, to track users' movements around our site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole.
Device Identification technologies assign a unique identifier to a user's computer to identify and track the computer. Angus Reid Group does not use Device identification (also known as machine id or digital fingerprinting) technology to collect Personal Information or track the online activities of computer users. We use the technology to assist our clients in ensuring the integrity of survey results. The technology analyses information and data obtained from your computer's web browser and from other publicly available data points, including for example the technical settings of your computer, the characteristics of your computer, and your computer's IP address. This data is used to create a unique identifier assigned to your computer. The unique identifier is an alpha-numeric id which we retain. We do not retain the information analysed by the technology to create the unique identifier. The technology does not disrupt or interfere with your use or control of your computer and it does not alter, modify or change the settings or functionality of your computer.
In furtherance of our efforts to assist clients in protecting and ensuring the integrity of survey results, we:
- may link or associate your unique identifier to you and any of the information you provide to us;
- may share your unique identifier with our clients and with other sample or panel providers; and
- may receive or obtain a unique identifier linked to you from a third party, including without limitation a sample or panel provider or a client of our firm.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We inform our employees about our policies and procedures regarding confidentiality, security and privacy, and we emphasize the importance of complying with them. Our security procedures are consistent with generally accepted commercial standards used to protect Personal Information.
We may transfer Personal Information to affiliated companies or non-affiliated service providers for research-related purposes, such as data processing, and fulfillment of prize draws or other incentives. We require these companies to safeguard all Personal Information in a way that is consistent with our firm's measures and as regulated by law. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it.
ACCURACY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Angus Reid Group makes reasonable efforts to keep Personal Information in its possession or control, which is used on an ongoing basis, accurate, complete, current and relevant, based on the most recent information available to us. We rely on you to help us keep your Personal Information accurate, complete and current by answering our questions honestly.
Use of Personal Information
We use the Personal Information we collect to provide, maintain, protect and provide our Services, to develop new products and services, and to protect us and our customers. For example, we may use Personal Information about you for the following purposes:
- Facilitate and improve your online experience of the Services;
- To enable you to access and use the Services;
- To communicate with you, including contacting you electronically for the purposes of responding to your comments, questions and requests, providing customer services and support, providing you with information about any of our services, if any, providing you with technical notices, updates, security alerts and administrative messages. You can opt out of receiving such information at any time.
- To monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities on our Services;
- To investigate and prevent authorized access to our Services and other illegal activities;
- To protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claims; and
- For other purposes authorized by you or applicable privacy laws.
Legal Basis for Use
Our legal basis for collecting and using Personal Information as a data controller will depend on the specific circumstances in which it was collected. In general, we process your Personal Information under the following legal basis:
- Consent – we process your Personal Information is you have consented to the processing activity. You may revoke your consent at any time, in which case we will cease further processing of your Personal Information based on your consent. This will however not impact the lawfulness of processing your Personal Information based on consent before it was withdrawn. Your access to and use of the Services might only be available based on consent.
- Contract – we process your Personal Information to perform our obligations to you under a contract.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We must disclose your Personal Information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. In addition, we may share information about you as follows:
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in response to subpoenas or other legal process or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, or investigate fraud;
- To protect the rights, property, life, health, security and safety of us or any third party;
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, we may also use IP addresses, mobile device identifiers or any other information we collect to identify users, and may do so in cooperation with copyright owners, internet service providers, wireless service providers or law enforcement agencies in our discretion. Such disclosures may be carried out without notice to you;
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes; and
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession), lease, or any other type of acquisition of all or any portion of our assets, financing, disposal, conveyance or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another company, in this event you will be notified via prominent notice on our Services of any change in ownership or uses of your Personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your Personal Information; and
In our sole discretion, we may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
HOW LONG DO WE RETAIN PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We endeavour to only collect Personal Information that is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which they are collected, and to retain such data for no longer than is necessary for such purposes. The length of time Personal Information is retained, and criteria for determining that time, are dependent on the nature of the Personal Information, the purpose for which it was provided and any statutory retention periods. This is subject to any valid opt-out or withdrawal of consent where processing based on consent, or other valid exercise of your data subject rights.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
There may be features on the Services which enable you to subscribe to newsletters and other information about us. You can opt out of receiving communications from us at any time by following the instructions provided in those communications or emailing us at email@example.com with the subject of “Unsubscribe”. You may also remove yourself from our email list by clicking on the unsubscribe link presented in all communications we send to our users.
Depending on where you are located when you use or access the Services, your Personal Information may be transferred across international borders outside the country where you use or access the Services, including to countries outside the European Economic Area (“EAA”) that do not have laws providing specific protection for personal data or that have different legal rules on data protection. In such cases, we ensure that there is a legal basis for such transfer and that adequate protection for your Personal Information is provided as required by applicable law, for example, by using standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission or other relevant authorities, by using certain service provides that are certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield, and by requiring the use of other appropriate technical and organizational information security measures. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain additional information about the safeguards we take in connection with these transfers.
You have a right to know what Personal Information we hold about you, and to access it. This section describes the mechanisms for you to control certain uses and disclosures of your information.
Upon request, we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your Personal Information. You have the right to access the Personal Information we have about you. You may correct, amend, or delete that information at any time by emailing email@example.com with a Personal Information Request. We will respond to your access request within a reasonable time period. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity. There may be circumstances in which we may not be able to accommodate your request to change information if we believe that the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect. Please note deleting the Personal Information we hold about you may result in you not being able to access or use the Services. All requests for the removal of Personal Information shall be responded to within a reasonable period of time.
In the event you have provided Personal Information to subscribe for newsletters and other information about us, you are free to opt-out of receiving such information at any time. To opt out of receiving communications from us please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “Unsubscribe”. You may also remove yourself from our email list by clicking on the unsubscribe link presented in all communications we send to our users.
Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, but if you reject our cookies, certain functions and conveniences of the Services may not work properly. To learn more about cookies, please check your browser’s help or similar feature or visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Some web browsers incorporate a “do-not-track” or similar feature that signals to websites with which the browser communicates that a visitor does not want to have his or her online activity tracked. Please check your browser’s help or similar feature for more information about this process.
If you are an individual from the EEA, and access or use the Services from the EEA, we process your Personal Information both as a Processor and as Controller, as such terms are used in the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”). Our legal basis for collecting and using the Personal information will depend on the Personal Information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. We process your Personal Information as a processor and controller when your access or use the Services and submit Personal Information to us. Our legal basis for acting as a controller and processor is further described above under the “Legal Basis for Use” section.
If you are an individual from the EEA, and access or use the Services from the EEA, you have certain additional rights provided by the GDPR as follows:
- Right to be informed of how your Personal Information is used – you have a right to be informed about how we will use and share your Personal Information. This explanation will be provided to you in a concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible format and will be written in clear and pain language.
- Right to access Personal Information – you have a right to obtain confirmation of whether we are processing your Personal Information, access your Personal Information and information regarding how your Personal Information is being used by us.
- Right to have inaccurate Personal Information rectified – you have a right to have any inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information rectified. If we have disclosed the relevant Personal Information to any third parties, we will take reasonable steps to inform those third parties of the rectification where possible.
- Right to have the Personal Information erased in certain circumstances -you have a right to request that certain Personal Information held by us is erased. This is also known as a right to be forgotten. This is not a blanket right to require all Personal Information to be deleted. We will consider each request carefully in accordance with the requirements of any laws relating to the processing of your Personal Information.
- Right to restrict processing of Personal Information in certain circumstances – you have a right to block the processing of your Personal Information in certain circumstances. This right arises if you are disputing the accuracy of the Personal Information, if you have raised an objection to processing, if processing of the Personal Information is unlawful and you oppose erasure and request restriction instead or if the Personal Information is no longer required by us but you require the Personal Information to be retained to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.
- Right to data portability – in certain circumstances you can request to receive a copy of you Personal Information in a commonly used electronic format. This right only applies to Personal Information that you have provided to us (such as Identity Information, Contact Information). The right to data portability only applied if the processing is based on your consent or if the Personal Information must be processed for the performance of a contract and the processing is carried out by automated means.
- Right not be to subject to automated decisions – you have the right not to be subject to a decision which is based on automated processing where the decision will produce a legal effect or a similarly significant effect on you.
- Right to object to processing of Personal Information – you have a right to object to the processing being carried out by us if we are processing Personal Information based on a legitimate interest or if we are using Person Information for direct marketing purposes or if the information is being processed for scientific or historical or other statistical purposes. You will be informed that you have the right to object at the point of data collection and the right will be brought explicitly to your attention.
You may exercise any of your rights referred to above by contacting the Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity.
This California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) disclosure explains how we collect, use, and disclose Personal Information relating to California residents covered by the CCPA. Under the CCPA, the specific Personal Information that we collect, use, and disclose relating to a California resident covered by the CCPA will vary based on our relationship or interaction with that individual.
Collection and Disclosure of CCPA Personal Information
In the past 12 months, we may have collected, and disclosed to third parties for our business purposes, the following categories of Personal Information relating to California residents covered by this disclosure:
- Identifiers, such as name and government-issued identifier (e.g., Social Security number);
- Personal information, as defined in the California safeguards law, such as contact information and financial information;
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as sex and marital status;
- Internet or network activity information, such as browsing history and interactions with our website;
- Geolocation data, such as device location and Internet Protocol (IP) location;
- Audio, electronic, visual and similar information, such as call and video recordings;
- Professional or employment-related information, such as work history and prior employer; and
- Inferences drawn from any of the Personal Information listed above to create a profile about, for example, an individual’s preferences and characteristics.
The categories of sources from whom we collected CCPA Personal Information are:
- Directly from a California resident or the individual’s representatives
- Market research surveys
- Service providers, consumer data resellers and other third parties
- Public record sources (Federal, State or Local Government Sources)
- Information from our affiliates
- Website/mobile app activity/Social media
- Information from our customers or their service providers
The categories of third parties to whom we disclosed CCPA Personal Information for our business purposes described in this privacy disclosure are:
- Our customers to which the Personal Information relates
- Our affiliates
- Vendors and service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure, customer service, email delivery, auditing, marketing and marketing research activities
- Government agencies as required by laws and regulations
Use of CCPA Personal Information
In the past 12 months, we have used Personal Information relating to California residents to operate, manage, and maintain our business, to provide our products and services, and to accomplish our business purposes and objectives, including the following:
- Performing services, including market research services or providing similar services.
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity.
- Short-term, transient use where the information is not disclosed to a third party and is not used to build a profile or otherwise alter an individual consumer’s experience outside the current interaction.
- Auditing related to a current interaction and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards.
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service controlled by the business.
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
- Complying with laws and regulations and to comply with other legal process and law enforcement requirements (including any internal policy based on or reflecting legal or regulatory guidance, codes or opinions)
Sale of CCPA Personal Information
In the past 12 months, we have not “sold” Personal Information subject to the CCPA, including Personal Information of minors under the age of 16. For purposes of this Disclosure, “sold” means the disclosure of Personal Information to a third-party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
Rights under the CCPA
If you are a California resident, you have the right to:
- Request we disclose to you free of charge the following information covering the 12 months preceding your request:
- the categories of Personal Information about you that we collected;
- the categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected;
- the purpose for collecting Personal Information about you;
- the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed Personal Information about you and the categories of Personal Information that was disclosed (if applicable) and the purpose for disclosing the Personal Information about you; and
- the specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you;
- Request we delete Personal Information we collected from you, unless the CCPA recognizes an exception; and
- Be free from unlawful discrimination for exercising your rights under the CCPA.
We will acknowledge receipt of your request and advise you how long we expect it will take to respond if we are able to verify your identity. Requests for specific pieces of Personal Information will require additional information to verify your identity.
If you submit a request on behalf of another person, we may require proof of authorization and verification of identity directly from the person for whom you are submitting a request.
In some instances, we may not be able to honor your request. For example, we will not honor your request if we cannot verify your identity or if we cannot verify that you have the authority to make a request on behalf of another individual. Additionally, we will not honor your request where an exception applies, such as where the disclosure of Personal Information would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of another consumer or where the Personal Information that we maintain about you is not subject to the CCPA’s access or deletion rights.
We will advise you in our response if we are not able to honor your request. We will not provide social security numbers, driver’s license numbers or government issued identification numbers, financial account numbers, health care or medical identification numbers, account passwords or security questions and answers, or any specific pieces of information if the disclosure presents the possibility of unauthorized access that could result in identity theft or fraud or unreasonable risk to data or systems and network security.
We will work to process all verified requests within 45 days pursuant to the CCPA. If we need an extension for up to an additional 45 days in order to process your request, we will provide you with an explanation for the delay.
How to Exercise Your CCPA Rights
If you are a California resident, you may submit a request by contacting our Privacy Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTIFICATION OF MATERIAL CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
If we make a material change to this policy or our privacy practices, we will post a prominent notice on this site for 30 calendar days prior to the implementation of the material change and describe how individuals may exercise any applicable choice. Following the implementation of the material change, we will record at the introduction of this policy when the policy was last revised.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Questions regarding this policy, complaints about our practices and access requests should be directed to the Angus Reid Group Privacy Officer via e-mail at email@example.com or by mail at 750 - 505 Burrard Street, Vancouver BC, V7X 1M4.
We will investigate all complaints and attempt to resolve those that we find are justified. If necessary, we will amend our policies and procedures to ensure that other individuals do not experience the same problem.